This recipe for mixed berry compote is extremely easy. It’s actually amazing just how simple some things can be when in fact they make a world of difference. And so is the case with this compote.
When I was young, elementary school aged, I used to love Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream. I mean, I still do enjoy that flavor but I also appreciate a good Vanilla or Vanilla Bean flavored ice cream now. There’s something about the simplicity of the flavor profile that just tastes so good. And let’s face it, Vanilla ice cream is a good vessel for additional flavors.
The mixed berry compote is stellar on top of Vanilla ice cream. The warm compote melts the ice cream a bit creating this wonderful and unique dynamic between hot and cold. In this recipe I also add in some Cinnamon and Nutmeg to spice things up but if you’re more of a purist when it comes to your berries you can leave these spices out.
If you don’t use all the compote in one sitting then you can definitely refrigerate it for up to 5 days. Once chilled, it’s also makes a good spread on toast or english muffins. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try because it takes no time at all to make it and it’s sure to be a crowd pleaser.
Have you every tried making a berry compote? If so, what type of fruits do you use? Let me know in the comments section below!
Mixed Berry CompotePRINT NOW!
- 2 Cups Fresh Strawberries
- 1 Cup Fresh Black Berries
- 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries
- 1/4 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 TSP Cinnamon
- 1/4 TSP Nutmeg
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat while you stir frequently.
- Allow the berries to cook until soft (about 5-10 minutes) and then mash them down with a spoon, continue stiring.
- Cook for an additional 15 minutes until the sugar is fully dissolved.
- Serve the compote warm or chilled atop your favorite dessert.
Recipe Provided by SimpleeKitchen.com