I’m experimenting in the kitchen. I like to take the standard breakfast fare and spin up new creations that are inspired by the originals. My latest idea married my love of hash browns with french fries to create hash brown french fries (HBFF). I know, mind blow, right? I have to admit this creation is my new guilty pleasure. These HBFF’s taste so good and are perfect with eggs, pancakes, waffles or entirely on their own!
To make a successful hash brown french fry it’s all about the hash brown batter. You want to be sure that you have a very sticky batter that holds it’s shape because you don’t want the hash brown to fall apart during the deep frying process. The flour measurements in this recipe may need to be tweaked depending on the size of your potatoes. If they are small you need less flour. If they are large you’ll definitely need some more flour so keep some extra on hand just in case.
Once the batter is ready you will want to make 3-4 semi-flat oval balls (see image below).
Drop them in the oil and turn half way through the cooking time. You’re actually going to deep fry the hash browns twice. The very first time you will fry the semi-flat oval balls. Once they are golden brown you are going to pull them out of the oil, let them cool slightly and then cut in to strips to create the french fry shape. You will then fry them again, turning them throughout the cooking process to ensure all sides become golden brown.
The hash brown french fries are sure to be your new favorite breakfast item.
What classic recipes are you reimagining? Let me know in the comment below!
Hash Brown French FriesPRINT NOW!
- 2 Large Russet Potatoes
- 1 TSP Dried Parsley
- 1 TSP Pepper
- 1 TSP Onion Powder
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Cup of All Purpose Flour
- Canola Oil (fill a small sauce pan half full, roughly 4-6 cups)
- Peel the potatoes and grate with the large grater holes
- Place the grated potatoes in a bowl of ice water for 15 minutes
- Fill a pan half full with canola oil and place on medium high heat, allow to heat up for 10 minutes
- While the potatoes are soaking and the oil is heating up, combine all dry and wet ingredients in a medium bowl
- Remove the potatoes from the ice water, pat dry, and place in with the mixed dry/wet ingredients – You make need to add a little water or more flour depending on exact volume of potatoes. The batter should be sticky and hold it’s shape.
- Section the potato mixture into 3 or 4 areas and shape into ovals, press the oval so they are semi-flat on each side
- Place the potato ovals into the oil and deep fry for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown
- Once golden brown pull the potatoes out of the oil and pat dry with paper towels, allow to cool slightly
- Cut the potatoes into strips and drop the strips into the oil and allow to cook for another 5-10 minutes, flipping occasionally to allow the hash browns to brown on all sides
- Pull the hash brown french fries out of the oil, pat dry and serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce