Winter is in full swing and I’m already longing for warmer days. I miss going to each of the local farms in the summer and picking tons of fresh berries. This past summer I had such a fun time picking my own strawberries, cherries, and blueberries. Actually my Strawberry Pie recipe was a result of one of my trips. So far I’ve run out of strawberries but I still have left over cherries and blueberries tucked away in my freezer. I decided I better but them to use and made a cherry and blueberry crisp.
What’s beautiful about this recipe is that it’s quick to make. I’d also recommend using frozen berries over refrigerated berries because they hold up much better during cooking. If you are freezing cherries and you don’t intend to thaw them before you cook with them then be sure to remove the pits prior to freezing.
The beauty of a crisp is that it only involves a couple of ingredients. The other major perk is you don’t have to dirty up your entire kitchen just to get a wonderfully delicious dessert on the table.
While you’re preparing your ingredients set the oven to 350 degrees. Get out an 8×8 square backing dish or a circular/oval dish of roughly the same size. Measure out your cherries and blueberries. In a separate bowl mix all of your dry ingredients together and then pour 2/3 of that mixture over your berries and combine. My secret weapon in this recipe is the honey. It gives the crisp a distinctive flavor so go ahead and drizzle that over the berries. Then all you need to do is sprinkle the remaining dry ingredients on top and place small pieces of butter all over. Bake the crisp in the oven for 30-45 minutes.
I’d recommend serving this crispy with a scoop or two of your favorite ice cream. In terms of ice cream, I’d suggest a good quality vanilla bean but you can serve this dessert with any flavor you enjoy.
What’s your favorite crisp: Is it apple? blueberry? Let me know in the comments below.
Cherry and Blueberry CrispPRINT NOW!
- 1.5 Cups Blueberries
- 1.5 Cup Cherries
- 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Flour
- 1 Cup Quick Cook Oats
- 4 TBSP Butter (Salted or Unsalted)
- 4 TBSP Honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Grease the bottom and sides of an 8×8 square baking dish or medium oval/circular baking dish
- Wash the blueberries and cherries and pat dry
- Cut each cherry in half and remove the pit
- Place the cherries and blueberries in the baking dish
- Mix the dry ingredients (light brown sugar, flour, oats) together
- Pour 2/3 of the dry mixture over the berries and stir
- After the dry mixture and berries are mixed together ensure they are spread evenly across the dish
- Drizzle the honey on top of the berries
- Add the remaining dry mixture on top of the berries
- Cut up the butter and sprinkle on top of the berries
- Bake in the oven for 30-45 minutes or until the crisp is fully baked and bubbling
Recipe Provided by Simplee Kitchen